The old bay hot sauce recipe is a favorite condiment of many cajun dishes. Old bay is a spice blend containing red pepper, mustard, ginger, allspice, and mace.
This recipe has chunks of bell pepper and onion to add more color and flavor. It is a bit spicy, so if you don’t like spicy food, then you might consider making it less hot by reducing the amount of red pepper.
This sauce recipe is different from other recipes because it is prepackaged. This recipe is better than the bottled version of old bay hot sauce. It contains vinegar, and the bottled sauce doesn’t.
The red pepper is a type of pepper used a lot in south Louisiana cooking. The cajun curry is an example of a sauce containing it and tomatoes, onions, and other spices.
The only thing that this recipe does not have in it is garlic. All the other spices are there!
How to make an Old bay hot sauce recipe?
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Serving: 3-4 people
Old bay hot sauce recipe Ingredients
- 4 bell peppers (any color)
- ½ teaspoon of mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon of onion powder
- 2 Tablespoons of ketchup
- 3 tablespoons of vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon of Tabasco sauce
- dash of salt
1. Cut the peppers into long sticks. Please place them in the bowl of a food processor or blender.
2. Process the peppers until it reaches a paste. You may need to do this in two batches if your processor is too small to handle them all at once or it will not process evenly
3. Remove the peppers from the food processor or blender and place them in a bowl (you may have some leftovers). Mix everything with a spoon and a spatula.
4. Put the old bay hot sauce in a jar with a lid and keep it refrigerated.
You may want to age it for at least two weeks, but if you can’t wait that long, go ahead and use it after 24 hours.
Nutrition facts of Old bay hot sauce recipe
- Calories: 33
- Total fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 3.7g
- Carbohydrates: 7.3g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Sodium: 558.7mg
- Potassium: 106.7mg
Best 7 Serving Ideas for Old bay hot sauce recipe
Here are 7 easy ways to make a delicious meal or snack with the old bay hot sauce recipe:
1. Served with boiled crawfish
You can serve the old bay hot sauce recipe with boiled crawfish. The crawfish will soak up the flavor from the sauce and taste delicious. It’s a perfect combination.
2. Served with French fries
Make sure to place the spiritual love of your life (fries) on the plate next to the old bay hot sauce recipe. You can get them both simultaneously, which is a rare treat on its own.
3. On burgers
Add ketchup to your hamburger, and you’ll have a delicious burger for dinner or lunch.
4. On hotdogs
Add old bay to your hotdog just as you mustard and enjoy it.
5. On eggplants
The old bay recipe is delicious with eggplants because it brings out the flavor of the eggplant.
This sauce goes well with almost any veggie, so try it on your favorite one.
6. On vegetables
Use this sauce on any vegetable and enjoy the flavors together. It’s good on the corn, too, so try it out.
7. On steaks
Serve the sauce with a juicy steak. You will enjoy its flavor with that cut. The combination is second to none and is probably one of my favorite foods (including chicken wings).
Old bay hot sauce shrimp recipe
The old bay hot sauce shrimp recipe is perfect for your summertime parties or cookouts. Choose from different ingredients to make your unique shrimp dish.
Old bay hot sauce shrimp recipe Ingredients
- 1 pound of jumbo shrimps (or any size you want)
- ½ teaspoon of Old Bay seasoning
- ¼ cup of mayonnaise
- 8 ounces of cocktail sauce or chili sauce (optional)
1. Mix the Old Bay seasoning with salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a small bowl and set aside.
2. Combine the mayonnaise and cocktail sauce in a shallow dish and coat the shrimp.
3. Place the plate on paper towels and set it close to your stovetop (like an old home).
4. Heat a skillet full of oil over medium-high heat.
5. When the oil is hot, carefully add the shrimp to it and cook until they’re pink, not white (about 3-5 minutes).
6. Serve the shrimp with the hot sauce you like on it.
The old bay hot sauce recipe makes a delicious hot sauce that is great for your cooking. It can be used in many recipes and eaten with fries, eggs, and more.
This article helps you to learn how to make your hot sauce at home. It’s easy. Just follow the instructions. These hot sauce recipes will taste great over various dishes, so make sure to use them in all your favorite recipes.
Check out the many other foods and cooking ideas on this site for more great recipes you can make at home. You will also find recipes for other hot sauce recipes here.
Have a good time cooking! Happy eating!