Dark Soy Sauce Squid Recipe is a Chinese dish made with squid ink and dark soy sauce. The squid ink will provide a rich deep flavor, while the dark soy sauce and ginger root ingredients will give off a robust aroma.
This recipe is easy to prepare, especially if you have already planned on cooking these ingredients in advance. To make this dish, the simplest way would be to boil tons of water in a stockpot before placing your cleaned squid into the broth for about 20 minutes until it’s cooked.
This is when the squid ink will render its rich color into the water. After the squid has cooked, take it out of the broth and let it sit for a few minutes until it’s cool enough to handle.
Once the squid has cooled down, you can use a sharp knife to clean off its internal organs, such as its beak, eyes, and entrails, before cutting them into bite-size pieces.
How To Prepare Dark Soy Sauce Squid Recipe?
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Ingredients for Dark Soy Sauce Squid Recipe :
- 2 medium-sized squid
- 3 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon minced ginger root
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon rice wine or sherry
- ½ teaspoon salt
Procedures for Dark Soy Sauce Squid Recipe :
1. In a small bowl, mix the ingredients for the marinade.
2. Cut the squid into bite-size pieces, but leave the eyes/dorsal fin intact.
3. Mix the seasoning into the squid.
4. Let the marinade rest in a container with a lid for at least 30 minutes and up to one hour so that it can soak throughout the squid while it chills in your refrigerator.
5. Bring approximately 3 cups of water to boil in a large stockpot over high heat outside of your refrigerator.
6. Once boiling, add the squid pieces into the stockpot and continue to cook for about 2 minutes, or until it turns opaque.
7. It is useful to remove the squid from the stockpot when it turns opaque and hot so that you won’t have to wait longer for it to cool down, and you can cut off its tentacles before you add more ingredients. You will only have tentacles on one side of the squid after removing its head/tail/dorsal fin.
8. After removing the squid from the stockpot, add approximately 3 cups of water into the stockpot.
9. Turn off your stove, and then mix in 2 tablespoons of light soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of dark soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of sesame oil, 1 teaspoon of sugar, and salt.
10. Add the squid pieces into the stockpot and bring it to a boil again before covering it with a lid for about 10 minutes until cooked all throughly
11. Remove the lid and let the squid cool down for about 2 minutes.
12. Place the stockpot over a stove and bring it to a boil once again as you prepare to serve.
13. You can prepare this dish directly in front of your guests or add a bowl of sauce to the center of your table, letting them help themselves dip their squid into it and munch on it with their baozi/buddha bread.
Why Cook Squid With Soy Sauce?
The soy sauce, ginger root, and squid ink ingredients will give off a fruity aroma as your guests cook the dish with their own hands.
This is because the 3 ingredients have a high concentration of amino acids, which can be compared to that found in fruits. This is one of the reasons why squid ink was historically used to create black ink, which is an ingredient in traditional Chinese writing materials.
The other reason you would use a combination of these 3 ingredients is that they have a strong umami taste. Umami is a taste found in foods that will trigger memories, and memories triggered by flavors generally make one feel satisfied.
Nutrition Facts Of Dark Soy Sauce Squid Recipe
- 23.8 calories/
- 0.9 g fat
- 0-gram carbs
- 71 mg sodium
- 0.4 mg cholesterol
- 10 g fiber
- 4 g protein
This is an excellent recipe to keep in mind for next year, as it can be put together in just a couple of minutes, and the ingredients are easy to find at any local grocery store or supermarket around the area where you live, like a Chinese food market.
5 Health Benefits Of Dark Soy Sauce Squid Recipe
1. Dark Soy Sauce Squid Recipe is very easy to make, especially if you have already planned on cooking these ingredients in advance and have already prepped them in separate containers.
2. It only requires 2 ingredients for your broth, making it easier for you to get a balanced meal that will give off a fabulous aroma but not be too heavy to eat daily.
3. The many health benefits of Dark Soy Sauce Squid Recipe are both as a condiment and as an ingredient. One of the most important benefits of this dish is that it’s a good source of fiber, making it a good food to consume daily.
4. The other benefits are that it is an excellent source of protein, is rich in vitamins and minerals, and will provide you with energy.
5. Dark Soy Sauce Squid Recipe is also the perfect meal to serve your guest as they wait on you to prepare your dishes while they converse with you.
The Bottom Line
The big question is whether the health benefits of the dark soy sauce squid recipe are worth it. The answer is that it will be when you have family, friends, or even your loved ones over to your home for dinner.
The aroma of this dish will make them feel comfortable and relaxed and can bring everyone together as they slurp their food with their hands and munch on their baozi/buddha bread with the sauce on top.